Hi cool kids 🏴☠️
Here’s a newsletter that will make you happy:
Berty is available for iOS on TestFlight 🤩🤩🤩🤩
and will be soon on the Play Store!
We know we announced in our previous newsletter that it was supposed to arrive last week. But there is a little delay in the validation and some bugs to fix. Anyway, if you have an iPhone, you can download the Alpha! (Read below how!)
Just a quick word about the team before letting you dive into this newsletter: everyone is doing well. Restaurants and bars are finally open again until 11 pm. It feels so good to be back to normal. For sure, we will celebrate the release of our Alpha community in a bar (or two 😇).
We are very excited to showcase our work. Enjoy 😊
🚀 Open Source
Berty Alpha Community
Alpha is ONLY available on iOS (TestFlight) for now. Android version is coming soon. Join our Discord to be notified of any news about the Alpha.
Why a community alpha version?
We decided to release a community version to open doors to developers and testers, and to push forward on the development. Please note that the app will send data/metadata to third party servers to help developers identify and fix bugs during the Alpha version. It’s only a TEST version to allow community to have testing sessions, explore code, UX/UI and fix all kinds of bugs.
Our goal with the Alpha Community:
- Every community members can download the Alpha
- This version is not ready for daily usage, it’s just an Alpha version to discover the Berty app.
- TOR feature is not ready yet. IPs are not hidden.
- Account Persistence : not ready yet, your data will probably be lost during updates
- Identify and fix crashes, white screens, app freezes and any other kind of bugs
How to download?
Join us on Discord , check out our annoucement channel to get all the info to download the alpha. And if you have an Android phone, we are as impatient as you are to make it available. It’s a matter of days now.
Make sure to join our Discord to know when it’s ready. Just saying. 😇
2 past weeks recap
Here’s what we’ve been up to the last few weeks:
- Setup TestFlight and Play Store Alpha Program deployment
- Test to integrate p2p-circuit v2 (experimental) to see if there are any improvements
- Investigate the abnormally slow reception of multiple messages on Berty Messenger
- Implement Tyber network bridge on mobile app
- Work on iOS<->Android BLE driver
- Improve logging and reducing verbosity on the different variants of Berty (daemon, bot, etc…)
- Integrate gomobile-ipfs in Berty
- Investigate white / blank screen that occurs while using app
Berty Builders Meetings
Our next meeting will be around the release of our alpha. It will be Wednesday June 16th at 7pm. We will give you more information on meetup . Make sure to register to have access to future events.
You can help us by translating the Berty app + website. It will be much appreciated!
Think your language won’t have much of an impact? Berty wants to be accessible to everyone, including those who are marginalized from mainstream media. Please help us reach them!
Good First Issue & Help Wanted
If you want to contribute, we have two labels on GitHub to let you know where we need you: Good First Issue & Help Wanted . You will have our eternal gratitude and maybe some stickers. Just saying 😏
🎉 Meet the Berty Crew
Until further notice, we are canceling all in-person events at public venues – but we’re coming soon to a screen near you! 🚧🚧
⚙️ Recent Changes
- Read our last weekly sync notes: