Ahoy Bertizen! 🏴☠️
And here we are in 2021! Happy New Year to all. We wish you happiness and health, free speech, privacy and love.
Thanks – we hear you, and we stand with you. And with everyone tired of watching its privacy dropped off a cliff by every company that can profit from it. We’d love to tell you that Berty’s as ready as you are.
To get to the point: Berty Chat will be released in 2021. When exactly? We don’t know yet. What we do know: we will open Berty to you, the reader of this newsletter, in the next few weeks. We know you’re trusting us with a vital service, so we’ll need some time for careful QA and reiteration.
We hope you’ll hang in there (not that we have our doubts 💛).
So let’s get into our technical news!
May this year get us off our sofas and into a safe, savvy 2021. 🥂
🚀 Open Source
Highlights from the last few weeks:
- Finished the gomobile-ipfs integration in the main Berty app
- Released a first version of a native GUI mini app, mostly used for debugging: “bergy” 💻
- Refactor of the
pkg/bertymessengerendpoints to improve consistency, ease of debugging and reliability
- Released a minimal app/tool to test various P2P scenarios in strange network configurations
- Dug into a new detected instability with BLE that causes disconnections every 30s under certain conditions
- QA session on new libp2p Tor driver
- Implement the new UI for multi-account management
- Improved long-running endpoints UX with progress bars (OpenAccount and CloseAccount)
- Continue working on the new push-notification service
- Various bug fixes:
- a badger locking issue when closing the app in some cases
- bullet-proof the mobile app routing state machine
- fix timeouts issues on the TestBot
- various UI fixes from Kanban (testers’ feedback)
- database get broken when the replication was enabled
- network tweaks to improve 4G reliability
- Wrote a mini CLI tool that dumps the DB with a focus on human eyes and sort/diff tools
- Wrote a Flipper logging plugin to speedup development
Last month, we wrote a blog article (https://berty.tech/blog/berty-translation/) to explain how to translate Berty. And…
We got way more involvement expected. We can’t thank you enough for all your hours of invaluable, intelligent work.
In under a month, four new languages are 100% ready in the application – Italian, French, Russian, Spanish! And others are almost finished – Czech, Dutch, Portuguese, German!
You are nuts! Thanks again. Your work will let Berty reach across borders and institutions to help end the worldwide privacy drought.
There are still many more, so if your language has not been mentioned above, take 5 mins and pitch in:
Good First Issue & Help Wanted
For those who are looking for #WhatsApp alternatives, here you are a comparative from the @berty folks:https://t.co/80yxVdWlIO@berty is my go-to #dweb powered messaging app, but it's not released yet. Meanwhile, I use @session_app for my family group and @signalapp elsewhere— Carles Muiños (@zuzudev) January 8, 2021
allez voir ce que fait @berty et vous remettrez en question vos standards de privacy.— Benoît THÉPIN (@BenoitThepin) January 8, 2021
And when is done: @berty— Godefroy Ponsinet (@gponsinet) January 7, 2021
🎉 Meet the Berty Crew
Until further notice, we are canceling all in-person events at public venues – but we’re coming soon to a screen near you! 🚧🚧
- Paris P2P #14 (online)