Ahoy Bertizen! 🏴☠️
Sorry for this interruption of more than a month without news from Berty. We’ve been pretty busy lately. Mainly because we’ve been responding to a big RFP. We can’t say much about it right now but it would be great news for Berty!
As usual: the little word on the team. Everyone is doing well - except for Clement who was injured during a track and field practice. We won’t send you the picture but his ankle has doubled in size! We need our front-end developer back soon! Send him lots of positive vibes.
In other news: we’re getting ready to go off-site for a week. We are looking forward to meet again after these long months without seeing each other.
Without further ado, here is your dose of info on Berty.
🚀 Open Source
- UI, UX & Features
- Search: switch from JS to Go and refactor the feature
- Audio: improve the audio messages UI
- Audio: use Opus encoding
- Audio: refactor the soundwave analyzer
- Audio: improve the autoplay feature when listening to multiple audio files
- Conversations: work on messages’ lazy loading
- Conversations: refactor the footer
- Attachments: work on a file-system based way of handling large attachments
- General: animation updates
- General: various fixes based on beta-testers’ feedback
- Protocol, Reliability & Stability
- Tests: fix some scenario tests in the BertyProtocol and BertyMessenger libs
- Gomobile-IPFS: continue the integration of Gomobile-IPFS in Berty
- Tinder: wire the filtering system on event bus
- OrbitDB: architecture brainstorm about a follow-key implementation
- Tor: fix crashes on node restart
- Tor: upgrade to latest version
- Tor: continue working on DNS-over-Tor
- Bluetooth: Merge the initial BLE driver
- Bluetooth: Continue working on the Android Nearby driver
- Push Notifications: refactor of the flow on iOS
- Push Notifications: improve App Extensions to support Push Notifications
- Developer experience
- Tyber: add traces on Berty Protocol
- Tyber: add traces on Contact Requests
- Logging: create a mem-based ring-buffer to stream the logs remotely
- Logging: create a log-rotate file logging driver
- Logging: configure log sampling
- Logging: reduce noise
- Build: improve Makefile and build tools to support more developing environments
Several topics are underway:
- Redesign of the “about” page.
- Preparation of the donation page - with the payment in crypto
- Several articles (vision, Berty’s next steps, the famous RFP when we will be allowed to say more, for example)
- A better onboarding on Discord (by the way if you are a bot discord expert, send an email to email@example.com ).
- Improvement of the SEO of the site and notably in the multilingual part.
- A new FAQ should be available soon.
- A media section
You can help us by translating the Berty app + website. It will be much appreciated!
Think your language won’t have much of an impact? Berty wants to be accessible to everyone, including those who are marginalized from mainstream media. Please help us reach them!
Good First Issue & Help Wanted
- Read our previous blogpost : What a crazy week! 🚀
🎉 Meet the Berty Crew
Until further notice, we are canceling all in-person events at public venues – but we’re coming soon to a screen near you! 🚧🚧