How are you doing? Here is the return of the more regular newsletters.
The news from the team is pretty good. Everyone has recharged their batteries for the many challenges ahead. We had a meeting early last week about Berty’s next steps. The motivation was/is still good, and the team was aligned on the same goals. We have a lot of work to do, especially in Q4 (Read the Community section below to learn more).
Enjoy your reading 🙃
🚀 Open Source
Two past weeks recap
Here’s what we’ve been up to over the past few weeks:
- Implementation of local data and backups encryption.
- Replacement of Crashlytics by Sentry and removing Shakegubs from the mobile apps.
- Integrate push notification in Berty mobile apps
- Fix gomobile-ipfs release system by replacing Bintray with another platform
- Investigate and fix the misconfiguration of both Shakebugs and Crashlytics
- Clean up the codebase by removing dead code, unused CI jobs, etc…
- Fix various bugs found by beta-testers
- Keep on implementing iOS<->Android BLE driver
- Improve the logging and reducing verbosity on the different variants of Berty (daemon, bot, etc…)
- Continue to integrate gomobile-ipfs in Berty
As mentioned above, we have reviewed the future challenges and opportunities that are coming up in the next few months.
We will continue to develop the community events and continue to grow the ecosystem. In parallel, we will start preparing the release of the application on the stores.
In detail, we will resume our physical events at Paris P2P. It’s going to be great to see you all! We are also studying the possibilities of doing a festival as we did two years ago. We’ll keep the same model: free for all, with lots of projects to discover over several days!
We continue the Berty Builders Meeting online. The meetings are going well. You are more and more numerous to participate. We will work on a program with various projects. We will announce it soon.
We are thinking about a new event: Ask Me Anything (AMA). What do you think about it? Would you be interested?
In parallel, we’re preparing a lot of educational content about how Berty works. We hope you’ll like it!
Finally, we’re getting ready for the release. But we’ll talk about that later :D
Berty Builders Meetings
After Dietrich from Protocol Labs, we had the pleasure to host Holmes Wilson from @zbayapp . He discussed the new thing he’s working on, a TOR and IPFS based p2p team chat app called Quiet. We had a blast!
Holmes faces the same difficulties and challenges as we do. It was a great presentation with a very interesting final conversation.
👉 Make sure you join our Meetup to know upcoming meeting: https://www.meetup.com/berty-hq
You can help us by translating the Berty app + website. Berty Team and the community will much appreciate it!
Think your language won’t have much of an impact? Berty wants to be accessible to everyone, including those who are marginalized from mainstream media. Please help us reach them!
Good First Issue & Help Wanted
🎉 Meet the Berty Crew
We are canceling all in-person events at public venues until further notice – but we’re coming soon to a screen near you! 🚧🚧
⚙️ Recent Changes
- Read our last weekly sync notes: